Download unlimited stock photos!

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Another first



It's my first shot of the moon. Driving back from errands with my husband and my parents, the moon started to rise--probably as large as I'd ever seen it! I silently willed my dad to drive quickly so I could get to their house in time to pull out the camera and tripod. Finally got home, pulled the gear together, ran out to the front yard, and snapped some shots. It's the first time I've taken shots of the moon with this camera, so there was quite a bit of experimenting with settings, and possibly even more of me cursing while I desperately tried to remember advice on settings I'd seen in the forums (much to no avail).

And then.....there was editing. Dang. It is HARD to edit the moon...especially to get it to look like it does in the sky. Used a 75-300mm lens, bulb mode, and tripod to take the shot. Did some levels, contrast, and color balance work in post processing, as well as a crop and some sharpening.

Definitely a technique I'll have to practice at more-both with taking the shot and with Photoshop. But, all in all, I liked it. Reminds me of the giant poster I had of Neil Armstrong on the moon which hung up in my room as a child.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chamki said...

i like it too

1:55 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Very nice!

10:14 AM  
Blogger mike fairbanks said...

A Little fuzzy, but some good detail in it! Btw, a true photographer would have insisted dad pulled over, so you could get out and get the shot immediatly! LOL!

10:30 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

nice capture. I'm surprised at you though.....your camera was not with you? You had to will the car to go faster so you could get home to the camera? A good photog always carries their equipment everywhere.

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photo A Day 2007 - DPChallenge.com